D. Branch Furtado
Branch specializes in corporate transactional and executive compensation matters. Branch advises clients in media and entertainment on general corporate matters, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, financings, licensing, executive compensation and equity grants.
Branch has extensive experience in media and entertainment-focused transactions, including in music, television, motion pictures, brand licensing, publishing, digital media, fashion, restaurants and nightlife, and has represented:
- 605, a media analytics firm, and its founders, James and Kristin Dolan, in 605’s acquisition of Analytics Media Group and strategic data partnership with Charter Communications, Inc.
- Advanstar Communications in its acquisition of fashion trade show company ENK International and its sale to UBM plc.
- Apollo Global Management in its acquisitions of television producers CKX, Inc. (now CORE Media) and Endemol, and 50/50 joint venture with 21st Century Fox.
- Boat Rocker Media in its investments in mobile learning company MarcoPolo Learning and digital storytelling platform The Outline.
- BMG in its acquisitions of country music label BBR Music Group and production music company Immediate Music/1 Revolution Music.
- CORE Media in its acquisition of Sharp Entertainment and its sale of Elvis Presley Enterprises and Muhammad Ali Enterprises to Authentic Brands Group.
- Discovery Communications in its cable television joint ventures with Oprah Winfrey and Hasbro, its acquisition of digital video provider Revision3 and its investment in production and branded content company Will Packer Media.
- Kate Spade & Co. in its sale of Lucky Brand to Leonard Green Partners.
- Dr. Mehmet Oz in his joint venture with ResMed and Pegasus Capital Advisors to launch SleepScore Labs.
- Sean Combs and Sean John in the sale of the Sean John and Enyce brands to Global Brands Group.
- Sofia Vergara in co-founding Latin-focused media company Raze and co-founding subscription-based lingerie line EBY.
- Sony Corporation in its purchase of Bertelsmann’s 50% interest in Sony-BMG Music Entertainment.
- TAO Group, the restaurant and nightlife group, in the sale of a majority stake to The Madison Square Garden Company.
- Zagat Survey, LLC, a publisher of consumer-generated ratings and reviews, in its sale to Google, Inc.
Prior to joining the firm, Branch was a counsel in the corporate department of Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP where he represented public and private companies, entrepreneurs and financial investors in a wide range of corporate and transactional matters.
- Amherst College (B.A., Cum Laude, 1999)
- Duke University School of Law (J.D., Magna Cum Laude, 2007)
- Duke University - The Fuqua School of Business (M.B.A., 2007)